Monday, January 4, 2010 2:28 PM, CST
JUST FOR THE RECORD of BOBBY BOWDEN


Back in 1982 I was President of the Optimist Club. The main function we provided was paying for the annual High School athletic banquet. As president, I was charged with rounding up a speaker for the event.

Therefore, being of sound mind and optimism, I called Florida State and asked for Coach Bowden. After a brief explanation to his secretary she said "you just hold on a second." Well sure enough Coach Bobby Bowden himself picked up the phone and said "yes sir how may I help you?.

As you can imagine I was stuttering around with my thumb in my mouth..finally I mentioned to the Coach we would like to invite him to talk to the kids at the banquet. He said I have my calender right here and it looks good! He went on to say it would not be necessary to come pick him up at the Perry airport..he had some friends that would drive him over.

I then explained we only had $600 bucks in our fund and he started laughing ..said no problem I'll be there!

Well after the word got out that I had booked Coach Bowden...should have declared my candidacy for the Senate right then and there...but missed that opportunity.

A few weeks later sure enough , and much to my relief, the coach comes walking right in the auditorium...30 minutes early. His wife asked if she could set up a table and sell her newly released cookbook. I immediately wished both of the m a hardy WAR EAGLE! Then Coach Bowden gave me a resume and he said now you do not have to use this but it may help since you're an Auburn grad.

I had the utmost pleasure and honor to stand and introduce this man. He is the most humble and positive person I have been around. He is truly what he seems to be on tv except better. Coach Bowden gave a great speech on enthusiasm. Everyone in the place was so fired up and ready to go hit something. Then he closed his talk with these words. "If you have the time I would like to step down off this podium and shake hands with all you athelets. Well I could not believe this...here was Bear Bryant incarnate shaking hands with everyone in this place. I watched with amazement as he shook hands with every kid in the place. He looked each one of them in the eye and spoke kindly to them. It was a lesson in true humility. It is no wonder to me why this man has been so successful.

To think the high ups at Florida State ran off this man of such character is truly a disgrace.

What you saw on TV this past week, after his last bowl game win, was the same Bobby Bowden I met many years ago in a little south Georgia town with little going for it. He came and graced us for a few precious hours with positive thoughts and humility.

He IS one of the nicest and genuine people I have met in my lifetime.

Good luck Coach!!! And WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!


By the way Karen is sick again..but we are doing fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment